[Advaita-l] Ramopakhyana of Mahabharata vs. the Uttara Kanda of Ramayana

Venkatesh Murthy (वेङ्कटेशः सीतारामार्यपुत्रः) vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:36:13 CDT 2016

Namaste

There is one reason for Uttara Kanda. In original Ramayana the ending
is happy. But that may mislead people to think this Samsaara is very
nice and full of happiness like in Raama Raajya. It was ideal kingdom
with people with ideal happiness.

But as a matter of fact there is no happiness in this world
permanently. If there is happiness it will end someday. Therefore true
happiness cannot be outside but inside only. To show this they have
made even Seeta driven to forest again and Raama is experiencing
sorrow again.

The moral of story is -  If even great people like Raama and Seeta
could not be permanently happy how can we ordinary people be happy in
this Samsaara. It is an ocean of unhappiness only.

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 10:39 PM, S Jayanarayanan via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> Thanks to Neelakantan (on advaitin list) for the note on Samkshepa Ramayana not containing any reference to the Uttara Kanda.
>
> One more reason that the original Valmiki Ramayana may not have any reference to the Uttara Kanda:
> The Phalashruti at the end of the Yuddha Kanda, appears complete ( http://www.valmikiramayan.net/utf8/yuddha/sarga128/yuddha_128_frame.htm ) --
>
>   "By studying and listening to this epic, all the gods get appeased. By listening to this Ramayana, the forefathers forever get pleased.
>   To those persons who transcribe with devotion this collection of poems depicting the story of Rama residence in heaven is assured.
>   By listening to this highly meaningful and auspicious poetical composition, a person gets family-prosperity, augmentation in money and grain, superior women, exquisite happiness and all the acquisition of wealth on this earth.
>   This narrative is to be listened invariably by good people, seeking for wisdom, longevity, health, fame, fraternity, intelligence, welfare and brilliance."
>
> There are now three points against the Uttara Kanda being a part of the original Ramayana:
>
> (1) Ramopakhyana ends with the Yuddha Kanda, no mention of any events of Uttara Kanda whatsoever.
> (2) Samkshepa Ramayana at the beginning of the Valmiki Ramayana has no reference to the Uttara Kanda.
> (3) The full Phalashruti appears at the end of the Yuddha Kanda.
>
> There is now only one point in favor of the Uttara Kanda being a part of the original text:
>
> The Gayatri Mantra that is supposed to be strung in the Ramayana, as the first letter of every thousand shlokas, may not be perfect. (Needs confirmation)
>
> S Jayanarayanan wrote:
>
>> It has debated whether or not the Uttara Kanda constitutes a part of the original Valmiki Ramayana, or is a later addition to the text.
>>
>> Here is the reason why I believe the Uttara Kanda may not have been a part of the original Valmiki Ramayana:
>> The Mahabharata actually contains the "Story of Rama, the Son of Dasaratha", known as "Ramopakhyana". After talking about Rama and Lakshmana going to the forest, Sita's captivity, Hanuman setting fire to Lanka, war with Kumbhakarna, death of Ravana, freeing Sita etc., it ends with:
>> "And then assisted by the celestial Rishi (Vasishtha), Rama performed on the banks of the Gomati ten horse sacrifices without obstruction of any kind and with treble presents unto Brahmanas."
>>
>> Surprising that the "Ramopakhyana" as narrated in the Mahabharata ends exactly at the same place as the Yuddha Kanda of the Valmiki Ramayana (i.e. the beginning of Rama Rajyam), with no mention of the later events of the Uttara Kanda!

-Venkatesh