[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Aurobind Padiyath aurobind.padiyath at gmail.com
Mon May 9 04:35:25 CDT 2016

Pranams Sri Venkatraghavanji,

You missed out the word "Apparent".

In reality there is none. "JIvobrahmAiva nAparA".
Hence your questions,
Is Ishvara something the jIva should aim for?
Answer : No. In reality there is no JIva nor Ishvara. Hence no difference

The tat pada vAchyaArtha to direct enquiry towards?
Answer:  Only truth is Tat Tvam ""asi""
When in reality always there is no you and something else and only  "Tat"
is always.  How can you aim for it?
All those engagement is in our waking which has equal status of dream.
So all that is required is to have this jnAnam and it has to be a drdha
jnAnam of our waking status like the dehAtma buddhi. So that our
bandhamokSha MithyA vichAra vanishes.

Regards,

Aurobind

On Mon, 9 May 2016 13:53 Venkatraghavan S, <agnimile at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sri Aurobind,
> Here the upAdhi is only one, hence the question.
>
> Madhusudana Sarasvati in Siddhanta Bindu when talking about eka jIva / DS
> vAda, says that pure consciousness (the original) with avidyA upAdhi is
> Ishvara, with jIva as the reflection of the consciousness in avidyA. He
> also provides an alternative definition of Ishvara  - pure consciousness
> not limited by avidyA is Ishvara, and pure consciousness limited by avidyA
> is jIva.
>
> So it follows that DSV/eka jIva vAda is not nirIshvara vAda. However, with
> the jIva as the nimitta/upAdAna kAraNa for srishti, it is not clear what is
> Ishvara's role in this vAda.
>
> Is Ishvara something the jIva should aim for? The tat pada vAchyaArtha to
> direct enquiry towards?
>
> Regards,
> Venkatraghavan
> On 9 May 2016 5:35 a.m., "Aurobind Padiyath" <aurobind.padiyath at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> To my understanding it is similar to water in a glass and that of ocean.
>> Apparently different due to UpAdhi-s. But not in reality from the point of
>> water.
>> The stories of Jeevanmukthas are only to encourage or create the bhAvanA
>> of such a state. In reality there is none. When the waking itself is
>> "Devasya Esha SvabhavoYam" where can be such a state in reality?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Aurobind
>>

>> On Mon, 9 May 2016 09:42 Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l, <
>>
>>> Dear Sri Anand Hudli ji,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the references. I agree 100%.
>>>
>>> Therefore, is it right to say that Ishvara is
>>>
>>> 1) also avidyAkrita by me the jIva, is he just aupachArika?
>>> 2) Or is he as real as me the jIva, only not limited by avidyA upAdhi?

Aurobind