[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon May 9 05:31:18 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Chandramouliji,

I provided this in my reply to Sri Aurobind earlier today, pasting it here
(also adding the sanskrit transliteration, which wasn't in my original
email):

Madhusudana Sarasvati in Siddhanta Bindu when talking about eka jIva / DS
vAda, says:

1) ajnAnaopahitam bimbachaitanyamIshvara: | ajnAnapratibimbita chaitanyam
jIva iti vA
Pure consciousness (the original) with avidyA upAdhi is Ishvara, with jIva
as the reflection of the consciousness in avidyA.

2) He also provides an alternative definition of Ishvara  - ajnAnAnupahitam
shuddha chaitanyamIshvara: ajnAnaopahitam cha jIva iti vA
Pure consciousness not limited by avidyA is Ishvara, and pure consciousness
limited by avidyA is jIva.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan