[Advaita-l] Unreal cause results in real effect

Venkatesh Murthy (वेङ्कटेशः सीतारामार्यपुत्रः) vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 01:21:42 CDT 2016

Namaste

Everybody knows the film shown on screen is not really happening. But
many people cry and laugh watching the screen. When Dr. Rajkumar was
acting in one film he died on screen at the end of the story. People
in the theatre became very upset to see him die on screen. They tore
away some seats and damaged the theatre. Real loss for theatre owner
happened because of unreal death of famous actor on screen.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:03 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> Unreal cause results in real effect
>
> Shankara's words enacted in a live incident:
>
> In the BSB 2.1.14 while explaining that an unreal cause can result in a
> real effect, Shankara says:
>
> न हि रज्जुसर्पेण दष्टो म्रियते ; नापि मृगतृष्णिकाम्भसा पानावगाहनादिप्रयोजनं
> क्रियत इति । नैष दोषः, शङ्काविषादिनिमित्तमरणादिकार्योपलब्धेः,
> स्वप्नदर्शनावस्थस्य च सर्पदंशनोदकस्नानादिकार्यदर्शनात् ।
> तत्कार्यमप्यनृतमेवेति चेद्ब्रूयात्, अत्र ब्रूमः — यद्यपि
> स्वप्नदर्शनावस्थस्य सर्पदंशनोदकस्नानादिकार्यमनृतम्, तथापि तदवगतिः सत्यमेव
> फलम्, प्रतिबुद्धस्याप्यबाध्यमानत्वात् ; न हि स्वप्नादुत्थितः स्वप्नदृष्टं
> सर्पदंशनोदकस्नानादिकार्यं मिथ्येति मन्यमानस्तदवगतिमपि मिथ्येति मन्यते
> कश्चित् ।
>
> We certainly do not observe that a man bitten by a rope-snake (i.e. a snake
> falsely imagined in a rope) dies, nor is the water appearing in a mirage
> used for drinking or bathing 1
> <http://www.bharatadesam.com/spiritual/brahma_sutra/brahma_sutra_sankara_34153.php#fn_286>.--This
> objection, we reply, is without force (because as a matter of fact we do
> see real effects to result from unreal causes), for we observe that death
> sometimes takes place from imaginary venom, (when a man imagines himself to
> have been bitten by a venomous snake,) and effects (of what is perceived in
> a dream) such as the bite of a snake or bathing in a river take place with
> regard to a dreaming person.--But, it will be said, these effects
> themselves are unreal!--These effects themselves, we reply, are unreal
> indeed; but not so the consciousness which the dreaming person has of them.
> This consciousness is a real result; for it is not sublated by the waking
> consciousness.
>
> //
> http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/workers-panic-as-lizards-tail-is-found-in-breakfast/article8623198.ece
>
> Workers panicked after they heard that a colleague had found a lizard’s
> tail in his breakfast plate in a private industry in the Naubad industrial
> area here on Thursday.
>
> As the news spread, around 30 workers vomited thinking that they too might
> have consumed “poison”.
>
> “They were all admitted to hospital and discharged in a few hours. They are
> all healthy and fit, and will soon return to work,” factory manager Rajesh
> Rao said.
>
> A team of Health Department officers visited the unit and gave tips on
> handling such situations, District Health and Family Welfare Officer
> Baburao Hudgikar said.//

-Venkatesh