[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun May 22 06:36:58 CDT 2016

Dear Sri Anand Ji,

Reg your observation

<< Further, to get
the full context of what I quoted with a good Hindi translation, the full
text of anubhUti prakAsha  with Hindi translation can be downloaded from:
http://shankaramatha.org/index.php/ebooks-audios/e-books
That SDV can be ruled out and only the DSV/EJV is meant can be understood
by reading the relevant shlokas 9.46-52. In this method, as it is made
clear, there is no need to understand the "tat" pada as in "tat tvam asi".
Just understanding the "tvam" pada is enough! What else could be a better
shortcut, the choradvAra, the back door  access to Brahman? >> ,

This is clearly a very surprising conclusion. The mahA vAkya "tat tvam asi"
consisting just three words had to be repeated nine times before an
advanced student like svEtakEtu could imbibe its import. You are now
suggesting that Swami Vidyaranya in his anubhUti prakAsha contends that two
of these three words in the mahA vAkya are redundant and only one word
namely the "tat" pada need be understood for Realization. And that Swami
Vidyaranya considers such an understanding as a shortcut, the choradvAra,
the back door  access to Brahman.

 It is very difficult to accept such an interpretation of  anubhUti
prakAsha.  I hope I have not misunderstood or misrepresenting your view. If
so please excuse me and correct my understanding.