[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Ryan Armstrong ryanarm at gmail.com
Mon May 23 04:56:57 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Praveen
A question has arisen about the statement you made:
" Else, all other questions, not restricted to creation story alone, are
needed for
explanation of everything seen in vyavahAra and prAtibhAsika, before one
lands on pAramArthika tattva."

The first question is - why is an explanation of all these questions
necessary for the understanding of "tat"?

The reason I ask it is:
This does not seem to be what the Father (UddAlaka) is stating.
He points out repeatedly "sa ya eshonimaitadAtmyam idam sarvam"
"That which is the subtle essence is the self of all this."

So surely the explanation is of the "subtle essence", not the "all this".
The creation process describes how the "all this" came about, not the
"subtle essence".

The second question is (and please pardon my impudence - I am not trying to
gainsay what the gurava have stated) why should the emphasis be on "tvam".
If we, being ignorant, already knew the "tvam" there would be no need for
instruction.
Isn't it precisely because, under avidya, the tvam is mistaken for the
manas, deha etc and is not known as "tat" that this instruction is given.

The mahavAkya is, in my understanding, declaring the identity between the
tat and the tvam.
Surely both parts are equally important.

Thank you for your time.
Yours in Truth
Ryan

On 22 May 2016 at 14:59, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <