[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue May 24 04:37:55 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Chandramouliji,

Near the the opening sections of the siddhAnta muktAvali, PrakAshAnada
quoted the ShvetAshvatara shruti (and MahAnArAyaNa upanishad from
Taittiriya) to justify why the avidyA upAdhi is one only and as a
consequence  jIva is also one:
अजामेकाम् लोहितशुक्लकृष्णाम् बह्वीः प्रजाः सृजमाना सरूपाः ।
अजो ह्येको जुषमाणोsनुशेते जहात्येनां भुक्तभोगामजोsन्यः॥

Please read the paragraph after this sloka wherein PrakAshAnada shows how
EJV follows from this mantra - how avidyA is one, jIva is one, etc. In the
Hindi version that Sri Praveen ji sent, this is on Page 17.

I have previously sent you other shruti supports for DSV (स यथोर्णनाभिः
from BrihadAraNyaka 2.1.20, etc.).

So to answer your question "is the DSV considered an independent postulate
based purely on reasoning ( independent of the shruti )", not really, it is
very much based on the shruti, with reasoning as an ancillary support, like
all of advaita.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
On 24 May 2016 9:34 a.m., "H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l" <