[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Re: Ishvara-authored Srishti avidyākrta - Says Shankara

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Tue May 24 07:13:49 CDT 2016

Namaste,

I have limited knowledge on this subject. From what I have heard, Buddhist
version of asatkArya vAda says that cause transforms into effect and itself
cease to exist. An example is milk transforming into curd. After Milk has
transformed into curd, milk itself cease to exist. However, another opinion
of asatkAryavAda is that it effect is not present in cause, whereas in
satkAryavAda, effect has to be pre-existent in cause, else how would cause
be able to create anything. For example, only milk can transform into curd
as per satkAryavAda, whereas according to asatkAryavAda, curd can be formed
from water or oil. mAyA has three guNa-s, hence everything it creates also
has 3 guNa-s in different permutations and combinations. There is no 4th
guNa inside mAyA.

asatkArya vAda of vaiSeShika says that says that cause does not cease to
exist after transforming into effect. So Buddhist theory of believing in
demi-gods but not in supreme creator might get an explanation from
asatkArya vAda. the SUNya vAda also gets support from asatkArya vAda.

However if we take transformation as real, then Brahman will get divided,
which is not acceptable. 1/4 part of Brahman will become void, SUNya.

Maybe I am wrong, as said earlier, I dont have much knowledge on this
subject.

OM

Sujal

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Sunil Bhattacharjya via Advaita-l <