[Advaita-l] neo-Vedanta and Christianity

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 04:47:32 CDT 2016

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Kripa Shankar via Advaita-l <

> Namaste
>

>  let me offer some thing for your consideration:
>
> What is the key word nay, philosophy of Nisargadatta Maharaj?- * I am that
> *
> ‎What about Ramana Maharshi? - * Summa iru (Tamil for Be Still) *
>
> Exodus 3.14 (Bible) - And god said unto Moses, I am that I am.
> Maharshi's gospel - I am that I am sums up the whole truth.
> Psalm 46:10 (Bible) - Be still and know that I am god.
>
> Be still, I am, I am that are all attributed to Bible, not by me but by
> Maharshi and Maharaj themselves :)

In the Vol.1 of 'Sridakṣiṇāmūrti stotram' published by the Sringeri
Peetham, (now on a second print)  is this section on p.650:

//6.13.7: Christianity:

In Christianity, the Ten Commandments, the beatitudes, and the statements
of Jesus the Christ such as 'He who has seen Me has seen the Father', 'I
and My Father are one', 'I am the way, the Truth and the Life', 'I am the
Light of the world' etc. are reminiscent of the implied advaitic
undercurrent. //

The other sections in this chapter are 'Sufism', Buddhism, Jainism,
Chārvākamata, Modern Physics, etc.

Jagadguru Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati Swaminah: 'The ultimate purpose of
all religious and spiritual practices is to make the mind still.'

Ramakrishna Paramahamsa: In the quiet mind God speaks.

regards
vs