[Advaita-l] Ontological status of avidyA

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 06:40:01 CST 2016

Namaste Bhaskar ji,

Your concern that by calling avidyA brahma Ashrita, avidyA becomes brahma
svarUpa, is not valid because brahman is sat whereas avidyA is
anirvachanIya, two different orders of reality. That relationship is not
like fire and heat.

Your concerns also appear to step from from attributing a negative aspect
to avidyA. Here, what is meant by avidyA is the same as avyakta / prakriti
/ avyAkrita / mAya elsewhere in shAstra. Shankaracharya adds an adjective
to these terms in many places as avidyAlakshaNA / avidyArUpa etc. What does
he mean?

Taken in the context of sarvajna Ishvara, avidyA is shuddha sattva guNa
(i.e. sattva pradhAna), therefore Ishvara's avidyA does not have AvaraNa
shakti, it is vikshepa shakti pradhAna. In the context of jIva, avidyA is
malina sattva guNa and therefore it has both AvaraNa and vikshepa shakti.
Fundamentally, whether it is shuddha sattva or malina sattva, it is the
same triguNAtmaka avidyA only.

If it still offends your sensibilities, wherever the term avidyA is used as
being located in Brahman, you can take that to mean mAya instead

Regards,
Venkatraghavan