[Advaita-l] Ontological status of avidyA

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:06:22 CST 2016

Namaste Praveenji,

Thanks.

On bhAshyakAra equating avidyA with mAya, and whose locus is the Atma (two
birds in one stone), a very clear example is in mANDUkya kArika bhAshya
3.10. There in explaining the word आत्ममायाविसर्जिताः, he says
देहादिसङ्घाताः आत्ममायाविसर्जिताः = आत्मनो माया अविद्या = तया
प्रत्युपस्थापिताः. He takes  आत्ममाया as षष्ठी तत्पुरुष, आत्मन:माया, and
explains  माया as अविद्या.  Typically Shankaracharya when referring to mAya
and avidyA together resorts to  adjectival usage (avidyAkrita,
avidyAlakshaNa, avidyArUpa, etc.), whereas here, its a straight identity.

Holding माया and अविद्या as different is therefore not justified in my
view, and if माया is not held to be abhAva rUpa, why should अविद्या?

Regards,
Venkatraghavan