[Advaita-l] Ramana Maharshi - Advaitin or Neo Advaitin?

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at lalitaalaalitah.com
Mon Oct 3 10:45:02 CDT 2016

I think, I missed to reply to this one.
It needs some help.

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 at 21:07 Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​First of all, these are not those tattva-s which are said to be one by
> shruti.
> The parichchhina-chaitanya is not tattva.
> So, no knowing these two is not enough.​
>

> Yes, I agree. Knowing the two is not enough. However, one knows these two
> - I and Ishvara, and knows them not to be the same. The question is why
> does the aikyAnusandhAnam of sandhyAvandana ask the brahmachAri to say
> brahmaivAham?

It doesn't say to know. It says to do upAsana. That again is to gain
specific results. The word viGYAna here means upAsana.

> Therefore what the shruti says is one, is neither what I think as "I", nor
> what I think as "Ishvara".

You are heading towards guess. That's not what we are talking here.
The saying is easily in sync with the karma/upAsana prakaraNa. You don't
need to force it to GYAna.

*To add, unless you know shuddha-jIva and shuddha-brahman through means
other than mahAvAkya-s, there is no way to relate padam to them. So, they
can't remind them and hence there is no possibility of aikya-bodha.*

> If he was taught, then you are in my camp, not other's.​
> BTW, just 'hearing' a sentence from someone somewhere can't be termed as
> learning the same. More so when the meaning was never taught.
>
> Taught as part of the the sandhyAvandana procedure. By the guru, in this
> case, the father. Hearing a sentence from someone somewhere is not
> learning. However, for a thinking student, the natural question that will
> arise when he looks at the sun saying "asAvadityo brahma, brahmaivAham
> asmi" is how can the shruti say that "I", who consider myself to be a
> limited individual, and the all powerful Ishvara is the same? However,
> shruti, which cannot be wrong, says that to be the case. Therefore, what I
> consider to be as me, and what I consider to be Ishvara must be wrong.

Look above. This is not needed to save prAmANya of shruti.