[Advaita-l] Shruti prAmANya and jnAna

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 06:32:09 CDT 2016

Namaste Venkatraghavan Ji

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Raghav ji,
>
> "My understanding of connection between svataHprAmAnyam and Apaurusheyatvam
> -"
>
> I sent an email earlier this morning talking of the link between svatah
> prAmANya and apaurusheyatva in pUrva mImAmsa / advaita matAs - hadn't
> realised that you had sent this mail. I am seeing this just now.
>
> In relation to your point "Apaurusheyatvam is important because the initial
> vRtti produced by shruti vAkya -s , i.e., the 'untested' artha grasped by
> each of us by shadArthasambandha is also instantaneously grasped as pramA
> rather than rejected as bhrama or saMshaya-sahita (doubt-ridden)." - there
> are two aspects here:
>
> 1) the status of shruti as pramANa
> 2) the acceptance of shruti tAtparya by the intellect
>
> While apaurusheyatva and svatah prAmANya confer shruti with prAmANya (1) ,
> that may be insufficient for most intellects to accept the message given by
> the shruti (2).
>
> To take the mirror example, even if one were to see a flat, clear mirror
> (apaurusheya, svatah prAmANya shruti) and one does not have any other means
> of knowing what one looks like, how do we know what is seen is the
> reflection of our own face? How do we know what our face looks like? To
> determine the correctness of the reflection, we have to employ various
> yuktis to satisfy ourselves - for example: *everything else that is seen
> with the eyes is the same as the reflection in the mirror*, therefore *when
> our face is reflected in the mirror that is what it must be like*, etc.
>
> Therefore, for aikya to be accepted as pramA

Isn't aikya and pramA one and the same or single event ( it it can be
called so) ?

The very experience of aikya (ekatA) is pramA and pramA generated is the
experience of aikya.

Is it possible to separate them (any manner/way) ?

> we need to be satisfied that
> shruti pramANa is nirdushTa through various means - understand the reasons
> for apaurusheyatva / svatah prAmANya for shruti (ie clearly know what is an
> assumption and what is logically inferrable for us to hold this position),
> what is the ultimate message of the shruti (tAtparya nirNaya), and once we
> know that aikya is the tAtparya,

> by what other means can we justify
> non-perceived aikya and reject perceived bheda - aikya sAdhaka / bheda
> bAdhaka yuktis etc  This I believe is the "testing" that Swamiji is
> referring to.

Can you pl elaborate the above para (with examples, if possible) ?