[Advaita-l] Shruti prAmANya and jnAna

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 07:16:46 CDT 2016

Namaste Praveen-ji,

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Praveen R. Bhat <bhatpraveen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste Srinathji,
>
> On 5 Oct 2016 1:47 am, "Srinath Vedagarbha via Advaita-l" <
>

> > There are no such thing as two types of prAmANya. It is either prAmANya
> or
> > aprAmANya.
>
> If a person has jaundice and sees the world yellow, does his sight have
> pramANya or does it have aprAmANya? And how will you land there without
> testing?

Knowledge gained by your vision is by default prAmaNya (this prAmANya
svatstva) unless it is contradicted by other piece of knowledge that "I am
having jaundice". So, any aprAMANya, if at all it exist, has to supply from
outside of the initial knowledge. This is the doctrine of aprAmANya parataH.

Every time you do not test your vision to confirm the validity of your
vision. Validity is intrinsic unless known otherwise.

> Moreover, advaitins reach advaita by tAtparyanirNaya, which is testing of
> prAmANya. Else it would be blind faith which takes all contradictory
> statements of shruti as-is and then one is likely to lose even that faith.
>

> That's fine, that's all comes once aprAmANya for shruti is eliminated (and
prAmANya is confirmed). But my question was how do you substantiate lack of
apAmANya when it was said vedAs are also kalpita (by a single chaitanya)
along with entire jagat advaita system? Isn't it kalpita equivalent to
authored?

/sv