[Advaita-l] Definition of 'Sūtra, Bhāṣya, Vārtikam, Prakaraṇam...etc.'

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 02:11:57 CDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Sundaram Venkatraman <svenkat52 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Subrahmanyanji,
>
> Eternally grateful to you for the translations. I am now now able to
> appreciate the beauty of original Sanskrit.
>
> A question arises from the definition of Prakarana. If prakaranas deal
> with only some aspects of the subject of Advaita,  I am wondering how
> appropriate it is to call Panchadashi and Vivekachudsmani Prakarana
> Granthas. They seem to be dealing with the entire subject matter!

What comes to mind immediately is that while the Vedānta shāstra (ideally
the Brahmasutras) have an entire section devoted to 'avirodha',
non-contradiction from smritis that are also non-vedantic like sankhya, and
yoga,  the prakarana granthas do not deal with this topic.  They are
focused on expounding the tattva of the jiva , jagat and Ishvara and the
sadhana .

Some more topics of the above nature could be pointed out.

regards
vs