[Advaita-l] Who is Vighneshwara?

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 5 00:05:26 CDT 2016

>There is a separate category of 'vināyaka-s' who are evil spirits featured
>in the Srimadbhāgavatam several times and in some other puraṇas. This
>should not be confused with the Ganapati. Shankara, the vaidika, in his
>Gita bhashya is referring to the above group of vinayakas only.

In connection with this remark on VinAyaka by Shankara BhagavatpAda, please
see my brief note below:

http://advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2011-July/027896.html

Essentially, when we have shruti, smRti, and purANa support for GaNapati
worship, it does not make sense to equate the specific instance of
"VinAyaka" of the gItA bhAShya with GaNapati.

Anand