[Advaita-l] How can prANa be Brahman?

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 08:12:26 CDT 2016

Pranams Sri Chandramouli ji,

All that I meant is that Brahmi-sthiti is one :) . Adi Sankara in his gloss
Yoga tArAvalI has said that out of 1 lakh different types of yoga-s, nAda
yoga is the best. If you find source of nAda, it is non other than Brahman
itself. Some hear damaru, some flute, some OM. Just like neti-neti to OM
chanting, one merges in source of all. Here too one merges in source of
all. It is like Self enquiry or Om  chanting that I earlier talked about.

I did not say one can realise Brahman through yoga alone. What you are
trying to imply is that yoga is insufficient and that later on advaita has
to be taken. I am not contesting that view. All I ma saying is that
neti-neti is not the only way.

GYAna can be obtained in by abiding in source of any mantra, thought
process (neti-neti), Self enquiry, etc. AS per my knowledge, all these are
ways to attain Brahman.

I am not sure of Yogic texts accept that GYAna, as described by Adi
Sankara, is necessary for liberation, but I have heard yogis chanting OM. I
have not read all the yoga/tantra texts. Hence I cannot say for sure
whether yoga accept GYAna as final or not. But if you are very sure that
yoga does not approve of advaita sthiti and hence is insufficient, I am
nothing to add here, as I am short of information.

No matter if one tries to find origin of prANa, or does neti-neti, one does
end up in one state. If one becomes aware from where the prANa flows, i.e.
longs for the origin of prANa, then like OM chanting, it is not any kriyA,
just awareness. There are no efforts here. Just like one merges in Brahman
via OM, one can also merge in Brahman via prANa. This is my understanding.
But if you are of the opinion that merging in origin of prANa is not GYAna
then again I cannot say anything more. I have not experienced this state
via prANa, hence cannot comment on it. I will go through Yoga Yajnavalkya
and post here if I find something useful.

Hence, as the topic says, prANa is called as Brahman in some upanishads, it
is worthy of being worshipped. i.e. sAdhanA on prANa is a valid path and
finding source of it is valid path.

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna