[Advaita-l] Stotra in Praise of Vishnu in the Mahabharata

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 13:10:52 CDT 2016

On Sep 7, 2016 10:40 PM, "S Jayanarayanan via Advaita-l" <

> Here is a small Stotra from Mahabharata (Udyogaparva, 66) in praise of
Vishnu, containing the famous shloka:

>   yataH satyaM yato dharmo yato hrIrArjavaM yataH |
>   tato bhavati govindo yataH kRRiShNastato jayaH ||
>
>   "Wherever there is truthfulness, wherever virtue, wherever modesty,
wherever simplicity,
>   even there is Govinda. And thither where Krishna is, success must be."

Are yatah, tatah equivalent to yatra, tatra?

Regards
vs

> http://sanskritdocuments.org/mirrors/mahabharata/txt/mbh05.itx
>

> sa~njaya uvAcha||
>
> arjuno vAsudevashcha dhanvinau paramArchitau |
> kAmAdanyatra sambhUtau sarvAbhAvAya saMmitau || 1||
>
> dyAmantaraM samAsthAya yathAyuktaM manasvinaH |
> chakraM tadvAsudevasya mAyayA vartate vibho || 2||
>
> sApahnavaM pANDaveShu pANDavAnAM susaMmatam |
> sArAsArabalaM j~nAtvA tatsamAsena me shRRiNu || 3||
>
> narakaM shambaraM chaiva ka.nsaM chaidyaM cha mAdhavaH |
> jitavAnghorasa~NkAshAnkrIDanniva janArdanaH || 4||
>
> pRRithivIM chAntarikShaM cha dyAM chaiva puruShottamaH |
> manasaiva vishiShTAtmA nayatyAtmavashaM vashI || 5||
>
> bhUyo bhUyo hi yadrAjanpRRichChase pANDavAnprati |
> sArAsArabalaM j~nAtuM tanme nigadataH shRRiNu || 6||
>
> ekato vA jagatkRRitsnamekato vA janArdanaH |
> sArato jagataH kRRitsnAdatirikto janArdanaH || 7||
>
> bhasma kuryAjjagadidaM manasaiva janArdanaH |
> na tu kRRitsnaM jagachChaktaM bhasma kartuM janArdanam || 8||
>
> yataH satyaM yato dharmo yato hrIrArjavaM yataH |
> tato bhavati govindo yataH kRRiShNastato jayaH || 9||
>
> pRRithivIM chAntarikShaM cha divaM cha puruShottamaH |
> vicheShTayati bhUtAtmA krIDanniva janArdanaH || 10||
>
> sa kRRitvA pANDavAnsatraM lokaM saMmohayanniva |
> adharmaniratAnmUDhAndagdhumichChati te sutAn || 11||
>
> kAlachakraM jagachchakraM yugachakraM cha keshavaH |
> Atmayogena bhagavAnparivartayate.anisham || 12||
>
> kAlasya cha hi mRRityoshcha ja~NgamasthAvarasya cha |
> Ishate bhagavAnekaH satyametadbravImi te || 13||
>
> Ishannapi mahAyogI sarvasya jagato hariH |
> karmANyArabhate kartuM kInAsha iva durbalaH || 14||
>
> tena va~nchayate lokAnmAyAyogena keshavaH |
> ye tameva prapadyante na te muhyanti mAnavAH || 15||
>

> http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m05/m05068.htm
>

> Sanjaya said, 'Those adorable bowmen, Arjuna and Vasudeva, who are
perfectly equal unto each
> other in respect of their Godlike nature, have taken their births of
their own will. O lord, the Discus
> owned by Vasudeva, of abundant energy, occupieth a space full five cubits
in diameter, is capable
> also of being hurled at the foe (in forms large or small) according to
the will of the wielder himself,
> and it dependeth on illusion. Always conspicuous by its effulgence, it is
invisible to the Kurus; and
> in ascertaining the strength or weakness of the Pandavas, that discus
offers the best ground. Indeed,
> that scion of Madhu's race, endued with great might, vanquished with an
effort and in seeming playfulness
> the formidable Naraka and Samvara and Kansa and (Sisupala) the chief of
Chedis. Possessed
> of Divinity and of Soul superior to everything, that most exalted of male
beings can, by his
> will alone, bring the earth, firmament, and heaven under his control.
Thou askest me repeatedly, O
> king, about the Pandavas for knowing their strength and weakness. Listen
now to all that in brief. If
> the whole universe be placed on one scale and Janardana on the other,
even then Janardana will
> outweigh the entire universe. Janardana, at his pleasure, can reduce the
universe to ashes, but the
> entire universe is incapable of reducing Janardana to ashes. Wherever
there is truthfulness, wherever
> virtue, wherever modesty, wherever simplicity, even there is Govinda. And
thither where
> Krishna is, success must be. That soul of all creatures, most exalted of
male beings, Janardana,
> guideth, as if in sport, the entire earth, the firmament, and the heaven.
Making the Pandavas the in-
> direct means, and beguiling the whole world. Janardana wisheth to blast
thy wicked sons that are all
> addicted to sin. Endued with divine attributes, Kesava, by the power of
his soul causeth the wheel of
> Time, the wheel of the Universe, and the wheel of the Yuga, to revolve
incessantly. And I tell thee
> truly that Glorious Being is alone the Lord of Time, of Death, and of
this Universe of mobile and
> immobile objects. That Great ascetic Hari, though the Lord of the whole
Universe, still betaketh
> Himself to work, like a humble labourer that tilleth the fields. Indeed,
Kesava beguileth all by the