[Advaita-l] How can prANa be Brahman?

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 04:46:30 CDT 2016

Sri Chandramouli Ji

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 2:01 PM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I must clarify I have not mentioned about any such “NS jnAna, one has
> attained in NS”. Attainment of jnana mentioned by me also ..

Yes, understood and it is clear from your previous reply, neither I am
citing you on this and have made no such reference ... there were some
comments earlier from another member on this thread ..so, wanted to clarify
it..

> This is “experiencing Brahman (prajna)”. The sAdhaka who attains jnana
> does indeed experience this bliss at that time. In fact attainment of jnana
> is nirvikalpaka samAdhi (NS) according to advaita sidhanta ( I do
> anticipate strong opposition to this statement. I only request that if so
> the issue may be takenup as a separate thread and not mixedup with this
> thread).  The further practices prescribed for jivanmukti are NOT for
> gaining any “secondary jnana’(using your terminology) but ONLY for ensuring
> constancy and stability of this NS. I recap from my earlier post.

Thank you ...this is my understanding as well..

> Quote  << but according to the text Jivanmuktiviveka by Swami Vidyaranya,
> in the case of sAdhakas who have not fully cultivated वासनाक्षय
> (vAsanAkShaya) and मनोनाश (manonAsha), due to absence of rigorous
> practice and being influenced from time to time by fructifying
> prArabdhakarma that leads to enjoyment, eradication of sorrow and begetting
> of  happiness is not consistent and stable. Depending upon the intensity of
> prior practice of वासनाक्षय (vAsanAkShaya) and मनोनाश (manonAsha), they
> frequently lapse into the normal mode of vyavaharika experience.Thus they
> partially lose the benefit of jnana attained by them.>>.  Unquote.
>

> This stand is considered by many advaitins as admitting to avidyabeeja
> after attaining knowledge

Is this your stand as well ?

which according to them is not acceptable.

I had pointed this out earlier also and mentioned that Swami Vidyaranya has
> justified his stand by providing pramana from Sruti,Smruti,Yogavasishtha,Sutaamhita
> etc.

Thanks,