[Advaita-l] GunAtIta and jIvanmukta

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 05:15:15 CDT 2016

Well, that's excellent :)

What I meant to say was that the primary tAtparya of vedanta was "spiritual
liberation" defined as the freedom from the attribution of the mental
states to ones' self, in contrast to "mental liberation" defined as mental
equanimity, freedom from the experience of sorrow, fear, desire, hatred,
anger, greed etc.

I thought you were equating jIvanmukti with spiritual liberation + mental
liberation. Therefore, I interpreted the statement "jIvanmukti is the
highest goal to be sought" to mean that the quest for mental liberation, in
addition to spiritual liberation, is the highest goal. Please correct me if
I have misunderstood.

Mental liberation is certainly worth seeking, but it is not the highest
goal of shAstra in my view. Why? Because it is not a goal - it is a life
long process - anAtma, being what it is, can never "become" perfect, one
can keep improving it throughout.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 11:00 AM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com