[Advaita-l] Advaita and Madhyamika Buddhism

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 08:23:11 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Chandramouli ji

Thank you. I was having in mind the question of mAdhyamika buddhist
teaching for example. If we take a stand that only if the aupaniShada
puruSa is unfolded with explicit mention and references and quotations from
shruti, it alone is valid advaita teaching, then by definition no matter
what the mAdhyamika buddhists say, they can be said to be lacking in
fulfilling the requirements of a sAdhvI prakriyA since they accept the
words of the Buddha alone as having ultimate prAmANyam.

On the other hand if we focus purely on some core content as defined in
some manner (like say Swami Dayananda Saraswati ji did as mentioned in the
earlier post) then it may be tenable to hold mAdhyamika buddhism (ok the
'modified' non-nihilistic version as was suggested in the earlier post by
Sri Venkatraghavan ji) to be just anuvAda of traditional Vedanta and thus
acceptable and in such case ignore (condone) other ideas like Buddha's
omniscience as being a matter of subjective shraddha and not so important
enough for there to be convergence, necessarily.

I was thinking of shrI sureShvarAcarya's vArtika  -

  yayA yayA bhavetpuMso vyutpattiH pratyagAtmani |

  sa Saiva prakriyA GyeyA sAdhvI sa ca anavasthitA  |

By whatever (approach) one attains the knowledge of the Inner Self, that
itself is to be understood as a right method. It is not fixed (to a
particular approach.) The above vArtika gives latitude to include several
different ways of unfolding the oneness between the individual and the
Whole.But where do we draw the line between a certain pedagogy being
acceptable as being within the ambit of prakriyA bheda and another prakriyA
being an asAdhu prakriyA ?