[Advaita-l] Advaita and Madhyamika Buddhism

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 06:44:11 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Venkatraghavan Ji,

I have gone through the portion mentioned by you in Vichara Sagara Sanskrit
version by SVBS. I have also gone through the original doha itself by Sadhu
Nishchal Das, the tika thereon by Sadhu Pitambar Das ( the work by SVBS is
actually translation of Vichara Sagara and the tika, with his own
additional comments) as well as the translation in kannada (of  vichara
sagara and tika) by Swami Shankarananda. From what I could gather it is
only SVBS who has made the statement that jnana can be attained by a study
of Vichara Sagara. Other works including the original by Sadhu Nishchal Das
do not make such a claim.  Sadhu Nishchal Das mentions that the work is for
the benefit of common people who do not have access to Sanskrit works due
to lack of knowledge of Sanskrit and hence has presented in a clear
unambiguous lucid manner the truth presented in the scriptures without any
deviations whatsoever in a familiar language namely hindi. Infact it is the
first such work in hindi expounding the advaita sidhanta.

SVBS himself mentions that while the other Sanskrit works etc are for
uttama adhikAris, Vichara Sagara is for the benefit of manda adhikAris. In
my view this  does not accord well with the contention that its study can
lead to jnana because then it should be applicable to uttama adhikAris as
well. It may be better to understand it as arthavAda glorifying the work
rather than to take it literally.

Just my personal view. Opinions could differ.

Regards