[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 08:55:41 CDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> Are you saying that, as per this understanding ( vivarana?) , both
> tulAvidyA  and mUlAvidyA are removed/destroyed/sublated upon sadAtmana
> ekatva jnAna prApti ?
>
> praNAms
>
> Hare Krishna
>

> Yes, through tattvajnAna (the Atma jnana)  avidyA will be removed
> completely.

Noted the Atma jnana mention..

> And to the question, how can this mUlAvidyA be destroyed when it is
> something different from jnAnAbhAva, anyathAgrahaNa and saMshaya and which
> is bhAva rUpa and has the locus (Ashraya) in brahman itself??  The answer
> they give is, since the jnAnAbhAva etc. are jnana virOdhi, they will be
> destroyed by the dawn of jnana, the mUlAvidyA too which is jnana virOdhi
> gets destroyed by the jnana.

If there is any further explanation /elaboration behind this mention - that
mUlAvidya, which is bhAva rUpa (Ashrita in Brahman), is removed by Sruti
vAkya janita tattvajnAna alone without need for other abhyAsa, pl share the
links or articles.

> And interestingly they say for the adhyAsa upAdAna is this mUlAvidyA, when
> adhyAsa goes ( i.e. correct knowledge of rope in place of snake) the
> knowledge of rajju jnana will not destroy the mUlAvidyA but at that sandhi
> samaya (juncture) the sarpa etc. get laya (merged) in their cause i.e.
> mUlAvidyA that is all.

Interesting..if laya (merge) is accepted, isn't there a possibility to
emerge back/manifest at a future time ? how it is explained as Atyantika
avidyA nivrutti ?

which also implies mUlAvidya cannot be destroyed like tUlAvidyA (upon
attaining tattva jnAna), but there is some mystic component (beeja shakti,
doing its part to release souls?)

In short rajju jnana of the jeeva would destroy the adhyAsa (mithyAjnAna of
> sarpa  i.e. tUlAvidyA).
>

> You can wait for more authentic answer from the subscribers of this type
> of avidyA nivrutti as I am not a part of it.

Sure..thanks. Hence, my clarifications to the group.

> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!
>
> bhaskar

praNAms