[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 03:57:02 CDT 2016

Thanks Venkatraghavan Ji

The mention of upAdAna kArana (instead of nimitta kArana), bhAva rUpa
(Ashrita in Brahman), existence of causal potentiality much before any
adhyAsa occurs, laya, beeja shakti wrt mUlAvidyA, possible content-wise
difference between tUlAvidyA and mUlAvidya?, gives rise to many
clarifications, as some doubts related to persistence of avidyA beeja in
kArana sharIra which is not removed by  jnAna of adhishThAna, but requires
samAdhi like abhyAsa to completely remove it.

Your responses on mUlAvidyA are much clear (as it only means jnAna virOdhi
avidyA, which is destroyed through jnAna of adhishThAna ) and there are no
further clarifications, if this being the definition.