[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 01:22:45 CDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> the bhAshya says :
>
> सदेव सदिति अस्तितामात्रं वस्तु सूक्ष्मं निर्विशेषं सर्वगतमेकं निरञ्जनं
> निरवयवं विज्ञानम्,
> Is it not clearly paramArthika sat mentioned before creation ?
>
> >  Yes, but somewhere in sUtra bhAshya (4th adhyAya I reckon) shankara
> clarifies in shruti whenever brahman taught through creation it is apara
> brahman (kArya brahman) and when the brahman taught not considering the
> creation, jneya brahma it is para brahman.  When the gold is being taken as
> ring, bangles etc. it is kArya drushti, when the gold is mere / kevala gold
> without considering its kArya i.e. ring, bangle etc. it is GOLD only NOT
> bangle or ring.

Yes, I saw the reference sent from Subbu Ji yesterday ( from Mandukya as
well)

> How it is possible to admit avidyA in paramArthika sat before creation ?
>
> >  very legitimate question indeed.  Those who propagate the avidyA beeja
> Shakti in parabrahman would say it is with the associating of this avidyA
> beeja Shakti (mUlAvidyA) brahman does the creation.  So according to them
> when you talk about the creation, you have to accept the avidyA and its
> locus should be brahman before creation.

If it is admitted in sabeeja sath or apara brahman (kArana brahman) as
Ashraya in Brahman, do you see any conflicts ?

The issue arises only if any trace of avidyA is admitted in paramarthika
sat ( or nirguna nirvisesha nirupAdhika brahman) ..is it not?