[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 02:12:28 CDT 2016

Namaste

If Prajna is the Adviteeya state we have another problem. Not only
Sushupti but also Coma and Unconsciousness condition like Murccha will
also become Adviteeya state without Avidya.

If some one asks give me Moksha you can beat him till he becomes
Unconscious and give him Moksha.

Therefore Prajna has Avidya. As a matter of fact it has maximum Avidya
because a person does not know anything in Sushupti. In dream and
waking he knows something but not correctly.  Prajna is total pure
Ignorance.

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l
<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> From sushupti, isn't the the bhAshya clearly referring to kevala sath - सन्मात्रमेव केवलं वस्त्विति?
>
>>  and bruhadAraNyaka further clarifies this state is crystal clear like water, he is one without second, he is abhaya, he is paramAtma, for jeeva it is parama gati, parama saMpat, parama lOka, paramAnanda etc.  From this it is clear that sushupti is the secondless state that we daily experience!! But from this, can we say just go to sleep and get mOksha?? No, though it is adviteeya state we donot know (jnAnAbhAva) that we are adviteeya there.  Shankara clarifies why there is no vishesha jnana in sushupti, it is because of 'ekatvaM' and not due to the existence of mUlAvidyA or kAraNAvidyA.  And elsewhere shankara further clarifies there is abhAva of avidyA in sushupti and it is ekaM eva adviteeyam hence there in sushupti there exists NO vishesha jnana (anyatva pratyupasthApakahetOH avidyAyAH abhAvAt).  However, shruti and shankara talks about 'tureeya' the fourth pAda, which is quite different from vishva, tejasa and prAjna,  why?? What is the need of mentioning the tureeya when prAjnA himself is secondless Atman??  A subject matter of another interesting discussion, which we have done and dusted somany times earlier without any amicable settlement :-)
>
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

-Venkatesh