[Advaita-l] Ramana Maharshi - Advaitin or Neo Advaitin?

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 06:42:32 CDT 2016

Pranams Swamiji
You wrote-

'Moreover, AchArya always said that upaniShad-s have AkhyAyikA-s, they are
not history. Why? I hope you know that, because I 've talked about that
while supporting apauruSheyatva of shruti years ago. You were a part of
that.'

Yes i certainly do remember that. You had indicated that none of the
characters like vAmadeva or yAGYavalkya were to be *established* as
historical based on shruti pramANa because that leads to pauruSheyatvaM.
shruti is not itihAsa. It may or may not correlate with history.

Your inputs were quite memorable and happy. My incorrect understanding of
apauruSheya-nityatvaM was very well clarified by you.

Here its not to argue for vAmadeva's historicity. the example of vAmadeva
was to show that shruti is not against such a possibility of GYanam.

The result of shravaNAdi is obstructed by some peculiar prArabdha. And one
more janma is required for the jnana phala to manifest itself.

My understanding is that shruti does not rule out such a possibility in
rare cases.

Regarding the question of the apparent 'one-sidedness' (only tvampadArtha
shodhanam) of the who am i approach, i am not unaware of it.

It needs to be employed in the light of shravaNAdi giving rise to the
akhanDAkAra vRtti. After that a sadhana such as  *Atma*samstham manah
pratice is sufficient for brahmAtmasamsthaM manah. So even staying with the
meaning of I leads to its lakshyArtha flashing in the mind on the strength
of prior shravaNam and is therefore nidhidhyAsanam rather than merely a
practice of dRk-dRShya-viveka or a sAMkhya practice.

Om

Raghav

I think Praveen ji has expressed an idea  here below which is pertinent.

> Praveen, I know that there are occurrence where he mentions brahma and
> negates bheda, but was that based on shruti(which must be known as
pramANa)
> or was just added later because someone told him that he is talking
similar
> to upaniShad-s. We have to decide that he understood that part. Mere
> repetition to confirm to shruti is not enough.

I don't have such a doubt since this can be raised about anyone in the
sampradAya itself and I do not know how this would ever be proven.

Om
Raghav

I can only share my understanding and leave it at that.

In the gita 6th chapter we have *AtmasaMstham manaH* kRtvA na kincidapi
cintayet (centre the mind upon atma and dont think of anything else). And
similarly tatastato niyamya etat *Atmanyeva* vasham nayet. This chapter
deals with nidhidhyAsana a process which presupposes shravanam prior to it.
There are other words like ekAkI etc indicating solitude etc. rathee than
again doing extensive shravaNam etc.
And bhAShyakAra also says that it leads to upaiti shAntarajasaM
brahmabhUtam akalmaSham by saying he gains  ब्रह्मैकत्वदर्शनं  which can be
understood as niShThA in this context.
We have to understand that such a student already has done sufficient
shravaNam and mananam. He has already got a clear pramANa prApta vRtti
whereby Atma's paricchinnatvaM is negated and the lakshyArtha of mahAvAkya
has already been arrived. And all that was negated as anAtmA was
'accounted' for as adhyasta upon AtmA and as mithyA.

On 25-Sep-2016 3:03 pm, "Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l" <