[Advaita-l] GunAtIta and jIvanmukta

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 10:33:22 CDT 2016

Namaste Ravi Kiran ji
You may find this of interest. Commenting on advaita prakaraNa verse 37, a
prakaraNa having many references to the sitting-still type of nidhidhyAsana,
We have
सर्वाभिलापविगतः सर्वचिन्तासमुत्थितः ।
सुप्रशान्तः सकृज्ज्योतिः समाधिरचलोऽभयः ॥ ३७ ॥

The word samadhi is parsed as समाधिः  *समाधिनिमित्तप्रज्ञावगम्यत्वात् * ;
समाधीयते अस्मिन्निति वा समाधिः ।

The first meaning viz., samAdhipraGYA avagamyatvAt implies 'known through
the 'experience' or state of consciousness brought about by samAdhi.'
(Generally the second meaning is the preferred meaning. But the first does
not have to be wrong.)

When sufficient prior shravanam is already there,  there is no reason to
deny the possibility that certain other obstacles, which are preventing the
arising of apratibandhaka GYanam, get removed by samadhi-born praGYA.

(Technically though, it will be said  NS does not permit pramANa prameya
vyApAra so GYAnam is not possible in that particular state. It has to be
either before or after. But we can get around that technical objection by
saying that like a flickering tubelight which comes on sometime later after
flipping the switch of shravaNam. The samadhi born praGYA
(RtambharApraGYA?) serves the purpose of removing other lingering obstacles
(viparita bhavana-s?) to the arising of GYAnam.)

Dont know if your line of enquiry is related to what i wrote. Hope it helps.

Om
Raghav

On 29-Sep-2016 5:28 pm, "Ravi Kiran via Advaita-l" <

hschandramouli at gmail.com>