[Advaita-l] GunAtIta and jIvanmukta

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 12:40:46 CDT 2016

praNAms,

I have not followed the thread, but this just caught my attention. Just
wish to offer my two cents.

*Samādhi*—This state of complete identity with non-dual Brahman, arrived at
as a result of discrimination and negation of phenomena, is the Vedāntic
conception of *Samādhi. *(which is quite different from any mystical or
mechanical state described as *Samādhi* in the *Yoga* system).

This is quite true. In yoga texts, the word samAdhi is used when one
becomes in total sync with what one is doing i.e. the engagement is so
intense that nothing except the process is experienced. In Patanjali Yoga
sUtra-s, vyAsa bhAshya, many types of samAdhi-s are pointed out like
savitarka, nirvitarka, savichAra, nirvichAra, etc later better than former
(in this case). SrI madhusUdana sarasvatI in his gItA bhAshya says that all
these types of samAdhi-s imply abhyAsa only. Hence in this case, samAdhi
would mean mastery over thoughts, etc.

Whereas, in vedAnta, samAdhi i.e. nirvikalpa samAdhi is only one.

Also note that the thoughtless state does not mean one is in samAdhi. Sri
Ramana Maharshi says that thoughtlessness would mean arresting thoughts for
a definite period and gives example of pakshi jAlavat i.e. just like a bird
trapped in net cannot move so by controlling prANa, thoughts can be
arrested. This is not samAdhi. Hence samAdhi can only be achieved by GYAna
i.e. realised only in Atma-GYAna and not as a result of any kriyA like
controlling prANa, etc. There is nothing that needs to be controlled in
order to know one's true nature. However, at times, a yogI is always
habituated of processes, it s/he finds hard to transcend it. This is
because of years of practice of awakening kuNDalini and getting in tune
with prANa and various chakra-s that even when the boat (of yogic kriyA-s)
has reached the other side of shore, it is not quit. This is the problem
with yoga. Hence when a person, with the help of boat, reaches river bank
and wants to reach the destination, which is away from river bank, steps
one leg outside boat on river bank, but is not ready to renounce other leg,
ans keeps it inside boat.

In such case, guru has to do the khaNDan of yoga and it's kriyA-s for the
good of disciple. It is possible that same guru must have extolled various
yogic processes in the beginning of sAdhanA.

If one, by any means, destroys aGYAna, then only non-duality remains, as
GYAna cannot be different.

Hari OM
Sujal

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 10:47 PM, Ravi Kiran via Advaita-l <