[Advaita-l] GunAtIta and jIvanmukta

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 00:45:59 CDT 2016

praNAms,

The purpose of khaNDana is to remove the obstacles and not to refute the
path itself. If a disciple is stick up and cannot rise beyond a certain
point, then khaNDana is necessary. If everything is happening as it should,
then there is no need of doing any khaNDana if the final destination is
nirvikalpa samAdhi.

The misconception that any type of kriyA can result in brahmaGYAna is
refuted, as limited efforts cannot bring limitless results. There are other
types of samAdhi-s like s-avalambana samAdhi, nir-avalambana samAdhi (we
have nirAlamba Upanishad), sa-bija and nirbija samAdhi, prakRti laya, etc.

In system of yoga, as I understand, there is tuning with any tatva say
prakRti and then mind mixes in it. In siddha siddhanta paddhati, there is a
word 'sAmarasya'. I means uniting or merging. whereas, in advaita, one has
to separate oneself from what is not Atma i.e. separate oneself from anAtma
tatva. At times in yoga, kriyA-s are given undue importance. The advantage
of kriyA-s is that mind remains occupied in doing kriyA-s but in
nidhidhyAsana only mental activity goes on that too with the goal of
abiding in Brahman from the beginning of advait asAdhanA. If mind is
unstable i.e. is emotionally disturbed or has a lots of thoughts speeding,
then it is practically not possible to meditate the advaita way. Whereas in
yoga, the stabilizing mind via breath, prANa or any other means a a part of
sAdhanA. Preparatory exercises help calm down mind and so an advaitin, IMO,
can use them.

The problem with yoga is that since one gets results of stabilizing mind
through kriyA that that, at times, character building is not given
importance. So mind does not change the behaviour. In case of advaita, we
go to the root cause and by detachment, one knows or tires to know what is
it that is making mind to behave in such and and way. One can find out the
cause i.e. desires, excessive thinking, emotional attachment, etc. Next
step is the be aware that mistakes are not repeated. Advaitin trains mind
(not by use of force) and one changes behaviour, approach or perception
towards what is causing the problem and stay detached. Since the very
sAdhanA is to be aware and stay detached, it helps an advaitin to overcome
obstacles. If a yogi also takes similar approach, he too will benefit.

nirvikalpa samAdhi, nature of Brahman and jivan mukti are very clearly
explained. Emphasis is given to them so that mind gets attracted to this
blissful state.

Again, in yoga, the bliss experienced may be because of a result of kriyA
like rising kuNDalini and touching anAhata (heart) chakra. this shows
tuning of mind with kuNDalini and chakra, whereas, in advaita, due to
detachment one experiences deep peace and Bliss. Since the reason of peace
and bliss is vairAgya so this bliss is not a result of any kriyA, but from
detachment. Hence both feelings are different as one is dependent upon
kuNDalini and anAhata chakra and other is not.

Hari OM