[Advaita-l] Padma Purana VI.236.1-27

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 13:44:17 EDT 2017

Thank you Kartik ji for the post.

The classification of Puranas as sāttvik, etc. is unvedic. This is because,
the classification is clearly biased in favor of Vishnu and against Shiva
as the Supreme Brahman (Deity). It is universally agreed that the Puranas
are a reflection of the Veda and are relied upon to understand the Veda.
However, when the Veda itself is examined, we have innumerable portions,
both in the non-Upanishadic and the Upanishadic, that are holding Shiva as
the Supreme Brahman. There are also portions that hold Vishnu, Brahmā,
Indra, Agni, etc. as very powerful deities. But then, Veda Vyasa who is
purported to have conceived of the tri-classification of the Puranas, and
who is held as the one who classified the Vedas as Rg, Yajus, etc. has not
made any such classification of the Vedas as sāttvika, etc. And those who
adduce prāmāṇya to the tri-classification of the Puranas do not also
attempt to so classify the Veda. The Shiva-Supreme Vedic portions are
attempted by them to somehow apply to Vishnu and thus arrive at the
Vishnu-only-supreme purport of the Vedic corpus. While this is a possible
way with even the Vedas for them, where is the need to classify the
Puranas?  All the non-Vishnu-supreme puranas could also be, then, somehow
made to appear Vishnu-supreme only without the need to any explicit
classification.  This shows that the tri-classification is of no real
worth, and thus their doubtful authorship of Veda Vyasa.

Regarding this observation by the Padma Purana:

// In this (doctrine) only the giving up of one's own duties is expounded.
And that is said to
be religiousness by those who have fallen from all duties.//

it was pointed out in a post some years ago in this forum that contrary to
this view, the Shānkara Gita bhashya for the 18th chapter initial verses
emphasise the need to devoutly adhere to sva-vihita-karma, svadharma. The
very theme of the Bh.Gita is naishkarmya siddhi and the 3rd chapter there
explicitly says:

न कर्मणामनारम्भान्नैष्कर्म्यं पुरुषोऽश्नुते ।
न च संन्यसनादेव सिद्धिं समधिगच्छति ॥ ४ ॥

न कर्मणां क्रियाणां यज्ञादीनाम् इह जन्मनि जन्मान्तरे वा अनुष्ठितानाम्
उपात्तदुरितक्षयहेतुत्वेन सत्त्वशुद्धिकारणानां तत्कारणत्वेन च
ज्ञानोत्पत्तिद्वारेण ज्ञाननिष्ठाहेतूनाम् , ‘ज्ञानमुत्पद्यते पुंसां
क्षयात्पापस्य कर्मणः । यथादर्शतलप्रख्ये पश्यत्यात्मानमात्मनि’ (मो. ध. २०४ ।
८) इत्यादिस्मरणात् , अनारम्भात् अननुष्ठानात् नैष्कर्म्यं निष्कर्मभावं
कर्मशून्यतां ज्ञानयोगेन निष्ठां निष्क्रियात्मस्वरूपेणैव अवस्थानमिति यावत् ।
पुरुषः न अश्नुते न प्राप्नोतीत्यर्थः ॥

Both the Gita and the Bhashya very clearly hold that the Goal of
naishkarmya is impossible to be attained without first dutifully adhering
to one's ordained karma.

This shows that the alleged Padma Purana idea is antithetical to what Veda
Vyasa himself has taught in the MB/BG.

regards
subrahmanian.v

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 12:23 AM, S Jayanarayanan via Advaita-l <