[Advaita-l] Fw: [sadhaka] How to Remove the Fickleness of the Mind? (Apr 15, 2017) [1 Attachment]

RAMESH RAMANAN rameshramanan at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 16 11:07:33 EDT 2017

From: RAMESH RAMANAN <rameshramanan at yahoo.co.uk>
Namaskarams,

This is a continuation email on the topic of fickleness of the mind received from sadhakinsight at yahoo.com. I think the author of these emails or the original source of these emails must have been Sri Swami Ramsukhadasji of Gita Press, Allahabad. I enjoyed reading this and i hope that my
fellow-boarders would also enjoy and appreciate reading these emails. Ramesh Ramanan.

Passion, anger, fear, love , joy, sorrow and compassion  these seven sensations influence our mind (and melt it); mainly because of attraction (likes) or aversion (dislikes). If one has a keen desire to enjoy pleasure, the keener the desire, the more the mind melts and the more the pleasure is recollected and the incident is increasingly recollected.

Sharp anger affects the mind (melts it) more and its memory is not obliterated soon.  For some reason, if one is overwhelmed with fear, then that feeling gets firmly glued in the mind and is not removed easily.  And so, if there is love for somebody, that feeling also melts the mind.  So meeting a friend gives much joy and the mind is melted.  If somebody dies, that causes much grief, which settles in the mind.  If there is less grief, the impact is milder.  If one feels compassionate with somebody, that feeling also settles down in the mind. But all these situations do not relate to the present -  that is absolutely true.

If a dog has a wound, it licks it with the tongue, as his saliva has something in it that heals the wound.  But if a monkey has a wound,  it repeatedly scratches the wound, which prevents healing.  Similarly there are two different kinds of actions  licking and scratching.  "Licking" means to forget the incident as it is not in the present.  "Scratching" means to recollect the incident of the past, time and again and to make effort to wipe it out. Just like when somebody's son dies and the person is reminded of his son's death, he mourns the demise of the son, that he did not deserve death.  Others who visit him also remind him.

The woman-folk would lament the passing away, of one who played their lap and clung to them!  They would say that he was so handsome and so playful!  All such words would reopen his wounds and increase his grief for long.  Similarly,  remembrance of passion, anger, fear etc.,  would be tantamount to deepening of a wound, whereas,  understanding that however much the depth (force) of the passion, anger, grief or delusion, or pleasure be, this was definitely of the past and not of the present  is like licking the wound;

"nasato vidyate bhaavah"  (Gita 2/16);

 "That which is not, cannot be existent."  For those people for whom we have affection, attraction and friendship, who died or separated from us,  who stayed some other place and we stayed elsewhere, now neither these individuals are there, nor is that place there, nor is time there, nor condition nor situation exists the same as before.  For that reason, we should firmly recognize their absence or deficiency and believing so, we should not be moved, neither be attached to them , nor have any aversion towards them, but simply become indifferent!

(to be continued.....)
Ram
Ram
>From book in Hindi "All is God"  by Swami Ramsukhdasji
SHORT VIDEO (4 MINUTES)  in ENGLISH -   MUST
WATCH Silence A Discipline  (in English)  (Chup Saadhan) Swami
Ramsukhdasji

Silence A Discipline  (in English)  (Chup Saadhan) Swami Ramsukhdasji  Excerpts from various books of Swami Ramsukhdasji published by Gita Press, Gorakhpur Swamiji, a devotee saint,

To read  DAILY MESSAGES in HINDI please visit : http://satcharcha.blogspot.com/  - चेतावनी