[Advaita-l] Ishwara srushti - shruti bhAshya sammata

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Aug 4 08:13:05 EDT 2017

Dear Sri Bhaskar ji,
If the Bhāṣyakāra's abhiprāya about creation is that it is brought out by sarvajna, sarvashakta Ishwara alone, we have this Chandogya bhashya where Shankara uses the rope-snake example for explaining that Chetana's sankalpa: bahu syām:

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna
Just yesterday I once again read those threads in 2010 wherein we both engaged in bitter arguments and your appeal to readers / moderators of this list to reconsider my presence / requirement in the list etc. under the thread ‘A matter of adjudication’ ☺    If I restart the discussion on this new topic (i.e. jeeva srushti Vs Ishwara srushti) with you,  I don’t see anything better result  than that of 2010 discussions.  Unfortunately gap is becoming bigger and bigger and I am  finding it difficult to build an amicable bridge ☺ I quote something from bhAshya to prove my point that Ishwara is hetu and it is the siddhAnta of sarva vedAnta and it is the brahman from which praNAdi jagat originates and it is what is vedAnta maryAda ( parasmAccha brahmaNaH prANAdikaM jagat jaayate iti vedAnta maryAdA ) etc. you come-up with some other quotes from bhAshya to prove that this jagat is jeeva’s avidyA kalpita !!
Anyway, just to respect your effort, here is my thoughts which obviously I know you are not part with it ☺
Though I am not able to read the Sanskrit ( I am facing this problem whenever Sanskrit quotes come from you and other prabhuji-s but some other’s quote I can read ☺ ) From your explanation in English, I can say that you are unnecessarily jumping from samashti buddhi to vyashti to prove the bhrAnta jeeva srushti.  Elsewhere bhAshyakAra himself clarifies that this jagat srushti is NOT like seeing the sarpa in place of rajju.  And we have discussed those bhAshya quotes with our own viewpoints.  Here also the explanations you have given clearly says this jagat is brahma mAnasa pratyaya only  at any stretch of our imagination we cannot attribute this jagat srushti to avidyAbhrAnta jeeva by holding these bhAshya quotes.  HiraNyagarbha will have the ahamkAra which consists of avidyAsaMyukta avyakta and vyAkruta nAma rUpa are brahmamAnasa pratyaya (perhaps this is what you are quoting from chAndOgya) There is a reference to this either in mundaka or chAndOgya that hiraNyagarbha projects the world which is aprakatita earlier for the sake of jeeva-s ( Sri SSS somewhere says in Kannada : “ jeevarugaLa bhOgyakkaagi hiraNya garbhanu ee lokagaLannu, jagattannu ghaneebhUtavaagi etti nillisuttaane) to experience / enjoy their karma phala.  The virAt purusha who originates from hiraNyagarbha will have this jagat as his hrudaya or antaHkaraNa says mundaka too….Hence the jaagrat vishaya which we see in waking state is sadbrahma’s projected (eekshaNa) tejObanna vikAra-s only.  …And to maintain this there come the mareechi etc. prajaapati-s emerge (see introduction to geeta bhAshya), further bhrugu nArada etc. too would come into existence, they too called brahma mAnasa putra-s.  So, buddhi parikalpitena etc. which you are insisting nothing but projected world for the sake of jeeva-s.  And in this world abrahma pratyaya is like serpent in place of rope.  bhAshyakAra clarifies the same in mundaka ‘brahmaivedaM vishvaM’ mantra by saying : brahmaiva uktalakshaNam idaM yat purastAt agre abrahmaiva avidyAdrushteenAM pratyavabhAsamAnaM…brahmaivedaM vishwaM samastaM ….abrahmapratyayaH sarvaH avidyAmAtraH rajjvAmiva sarpa pratyayaH.
I know these quotes or my understanding is not palatable to you and it is ‘jarred’ interpretation of the bhAshya vAkya ☺   Since you asked me I clarified my stand.  And you can clarify your stand with more bhAshya quotes  for the benefit  of other prabhuji-s who are willing to endorse the bhrAnta jeeva srushti.
You have to excuse me if you don’t get any further mails from me on this subject.
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar