[Advaita-l] DSV in the advaitasiddhi: adhyAsa is substantiated

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 02:49:25 EDT 2017

Thanks for the deliberation, Sri Venkatraghavanji

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste Sri Ravi Kiran ji,
>
> The typical prakriya involved in the perception of a bhrama is that the
> ajnAna located in the consciousness delimited by the object is the upAdAna
> kAraNa for the bhrama.
>
> Here the siddhikAra wants to establish that adhyAsa can be substantiated
> in DSV too. So he proved that shukti ajnAna is the upAdAna kAraNa for
> shukti rajata bhrama in DSV.
> Now,
> 1) The drishti srishti prakriyA does not differentiate between vyAvahArika
> and prAtibhAsika satya.
> 2) Thus shukti also must have some ajnAna as its upAdAna kAraNa.

I got stuck in point 2 above, as in case of bhrama (shukti rajata), it can
be told - shukti ajnAna is kAraNa for rajata bhrama

In case of shukti perception ( prAtibhAsika satya and not a bhrama), shukti
jnAna alone could be its upAdAna kAraNa

> 3) Because of jnAtaikasatta in DSV, the jnAna of a vastu also implies its
> existence.
> 4) Thus shukti jnAna also can be said to be the upAdAna kAraNa of shukti.
> 5) Therefore ajnAna (from 2) = jnAna (from 4).
> 6) Because it would be absurd to say shukti ajnAna = shukti jnAna, or some
> unrelated object's ajnAna, say, ghaTa ajnAna = shukti jnAna, we have to
> admit the ajnAna from 2 is brahma ajnAna.

This above point 6, clarified my doubt.. agree with the rest of your line
of thought.

> 7) If we do that, we do differentiate between vyAvahArika vastu which has
> brahma ajnAna as its upAdAna kAraNa and prAtibhAsika which has
> brahmAtirikta ajnAna as its upAdAna kAraNa. This is contrary to 1.
>
> Not only that, as the upAdAna kAraNa is different, the bAdhaka jnAna for
> vyAvahArika (brahma jnAna) is also different from the bAdhaka jnAna for
> prAtibhAsika (shukti jnAna).
>
> How is this any different from SDV, which uses the same reasons to justify
> sattA traividhyam?
>
> Regards,
> Venkatraghavan
>
> On 21 Aug 2017 3:37 a.m., "Ravi Kiran" <ravikiranm108 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Namaste  Sri Venkatraghavan Ji
>>
>> One clarification below:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <
>>
>>> Thank you for the lovely explanation, Anand ji.
>>>
>>> If we accept shukti ajnAna as the kAraNa for rajata, what is the kAraNa
>>> for
>>> shukti?
>>

>>> Is it shukti ajnAna or brahma ajnAna?
>>>

>> shukti ajnAna (and rajata jnAna) is kAraNa for rajata, but how is, shukti
>> ajnAna be kAraNa for shukti perception/experience, or to consider, shukti
>> ajnAna as one of the options above ? (in general, ajnAna of a thing be the
>> cause for that thing? )
>>
>> Isn't it shukti jnAna kAraNa for shukti ? (though,  brahma ajnAna is the
>> kAraNa for *all* that is seen in DSV)
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>>> a) *If it is shukti ajnAna*, then there are three things we must consider
>>> 1) as the same ajnAna can lead to either result, what leads to shukti in
>>> one instance and rajata in another?
>>> 2) How does the nedam rajatam bAdha happen, because both the shukti and
>>> rajatam have the same kAraNa, shukti ajnAna? To explain, I am seeing a
>>> bhrama rajatam now due to shukti ajnAna. Normally, as long as the kAraNa
>>> exists, the kArya must exist too. So as long as shukti ajnAna exists,
>>> shukti rajatam must exist too. As shukti ajnAna is kAraNa for shukti too,
>>> then how does the same cause destroy one effect and create the other?
>>> 3) if shukti ajnAna leads to shukti, and that shukti leads to shukti
>>> jnAna,
>>> then as shukti jnAna and shukti ajnAna are virodhi, it is like saying the
>>> cause creates an effect that destroys itself. Is such a thing possible,
>>> is
>>> it not a upajIvya virodham?
>>>
>>> b) *If it is brahma ajnAna*, then as shukti is born out of brahma ajnAna
>>> and shukti rajata is born out shukti ajnAna, then it does differentiate
>>> between the bhrama and bAdhaka jnAna pair, and the shukti rajata and
>>> shukti
>>> pair. The first element of each pair is prAtibhAsika, the second element