[Advaita-l] DSV in the advaitasiddhi: adhyAsa is substantiated

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 11:56:47 EDT 2017

Namaste Anandji, and others,

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Anand Hudli via Advaita-l <

> Further, if we consider
> Ishvara sRShTi only, even that is through the dRShTi of Ishvara, as per
> VidyAraNya's explanation of the nRsimha-uttaratApanIya words, "ihedaM
> sarvaM dRShTvA."  VidyAraNya's explanation is: iha pratyagAtmani idaM
> sarvaM jagaccharIracatuShTayarUpaM dRShTvA, sRShTvA dRShTireva sRShTiH,
> where it is significant that Ishvara creates by His sight.

​There was more than once such interpretation was seen on this list
recently where the dRShTi of jIva is denied as sRShTi but that of Ishvara
is accepted. ​IMO, there is no issue for the DSV follower, be it of EJV/
NJV variant, since he lands a conclusion by posing a simple question: why
is that Ishvara sees a world, which is called as a creation, and I/ all see
the same thing? Again, he answers with अर्थापत्तिः so: if the waker Ishvara
sees the world like a dream (विश्वं पश्यति कार्यकारणतया स्वस्वामिसंबन्धतः)
and the dreamer me sees the same thing (स्वप्ने जाग्रति वा य एष पुरुषो
मायापरिभ्रामितः), it is *only* because the waker Ishvara and the dreamer me
are the very same entity, अन्यथा अनुपपत्तेः।

In any case, it is indeed इष्टापत्तिः for the DSV follower.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */