[Advaita-l] DSV in the advaitasiddhi: adhyAsa is substantiated

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 12:29:21 EDT 2017

Namaste Praveen ji,

I think Anand ji has answered the question, prAtibhAsika is defined as
brahma pramA atrikta bAdhya. The question is which objects are covered in
DSV as brahma pramA atirikta abAdhya, but before we answer that we have to
see what is bAdha according to the siddhi. In the third definition of
mithyAtvam,  MadhusUdana sarasvati svAminah defines bAdha as
ज्ञानप्रयुक्तावस्थितिसामान्यविरहप्रतियोगित्वं हि ज्ञाननिवर्त्यत्वं - the
total nivritti of every aspect of a vastu is jnAna nivartyatvam or
bAdha. अवस्थितिश्च
द्वेधा, स्वरूपेण कारणात्मना च - avasthiti is two-fold, svarUpa and kAraNa.
svarUpa nivritti is like the physical destruction or laya of an object
whereas kAraNa nivritti is the destruction of the samskAra of the object
also. Thus, by bAdha, what is meant is the traikAlika niShedha - the
negation of the object in all three periods of time.

The nivritti of dream when one wakes up is traikAlika bAdha, but the
nivritti of the waking world in the dream is laya, and not a bAdha. That
happens with brahma pramA, when not just the svarUpa nivritti happens,
kAraNa avasthiti nivritti also happens. This is the distinction between
vyAvahArika vastu and prAtibhAsika vastu. The bAdha of a prAtibhAsika vastu
(traikAlika niShedha) happens even before the rise of brahma pramA, whereas
the bAdha of a vyAvahArika vastu happens only upon the rise of brahma pramA.

Coming to the topic of DSV and the two sattAs, it is obvious that
shuktirUpya bAdha is prAtibhAsika because its svarUpa + kAraNa nivritti
happens with shukti jnAna.  However, does shukti's svarUpa + kAraNa
nivritti happen with anything other brahma pramA? Is the !E in !K->!E,
bAdha?

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <