[Advaita-l] DSV in the advaitasiddhi: adhyAsa is substantiated

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 02:38:20 EDT 2017

Namaste Anand ji,

Yes. All doubts and questions that arise can be answered (washed away) with
"svapnavat", ie. using the (water of) dream analogy, as appayya dIkShita
says in the SLS, "atra ca saMbhAvita-sakala-shaMkA-paMkaprakShAlanaM
svapnadRShTAntasaliladhArayaiva kartavyamiti". DSV maintains that objects
in the dream and waking states are of the same order of reality. If we
accept that there is bAdha of dream objects in waking then there is also
bAdha of waking objects in dream.

Ok, fair enough. I think we can say there is nivritti of dream by waking
and waking by dream. That equivalence is acceptable. In both cases, kArya
nivritti happens, but kAraNa nivritti does not. In the case of shukti
rajata, both kArya and kAraNa nivritti happen. Perhaps the solution is to
simply say that kAraNa nivritti is not a requirement for bAdha in driShTi
sriShTi.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan