[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Satkaryavada of Sankhya and Vivarta vada of Advaita

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Feb 9 07:17:12 EST 2017

Sankhya accepts 24 tattvas in a sequential order of cause-effect. The ultimate cause of all tattvas is prakriti. Prakruti and purusha both are eternal. This Sankhya system holds the world to be real and accepts creation theory.

However in Advaita, Gaudapada says there are no tattvas but everything is imagined in Atman. For brahman to be the upadana and nimitta karana, there has to be a karya. But when there is no creation itself, where is the question of upadana and nimitta karana? In Advaita, only brahman is real. ‎ As far as I understand, vivarta vada upholds ajativada. What is the difference then, between vivarta and satkaryavada?

praNAms
Hare Krishna

mAyA satkArya vAda too an accepted means to know creation in vedAnta parlance.  BTW, in the vedAnta srushti para vAkya-s are there to establish the avyavahArya nirvishesha brahman, it is not there to give us a sequential / systematic order of creation.  Hence sruti is not consistent in presenting the order and sequence of creation.  It is only an upAya to know the nirvishesha brahman.  And it at all if we want to accept the theory of creation, it has to be from brahman only and that is what vedAnta maryAda.  parasmAccha brahmaNaH prANAdikaM jagat jaayate iti vedAnta maryAda.  This jagat is the srushti of sarvashakta, sarva niyAmaka, sarvajna brahman and it is not an imagination of jeeva's conditioned mind.  Yes, from the pAramArthika drushti there is no srushti hence no stithi nor dissolution and there is neither bandha nor mukta but when it comes to jeeva, bandha, avidyA, jagat, Ishwara etc. we have to accept the jagat srushti for which brahman is the ONLY abhinna nimittOpadAna kAraNa.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar