[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Works of Sri Vidyashankara

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 11:43:43 CST 2017

In the Karmarkar paper, the author, at the beginning makes an observation
about the first-person usage by Shankara and says (apart from the
Gitabhashua introduction) nowhere is such a usage made.  However, we find
in the Taittiriya bhāṣya Shankara refers to himself in the first person
singular:

एतदेव *मे *स्वस्त्ययनम् - *यन्मामे*कयोगिनमनेकयोगिबहुप्रतिपक्षमात्थ । अतो
*जेष्यामि* सर्वान् ; *आरभे* च चिन्ताम् ॥

Translation: This itself is a benediction to me that which you proclaim
that I am a monist confronted with a number of dualists opposed to me.
Hence I shall win all of them and shall commence the discourse.

The highlighted words are all in the singular first person usage, whether
it is a noun or a verb.

This and the Gita instance are the only two of this type, in my
observation.

regards
subbu

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <