[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The Bhashyas of Adi Shankara

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Jan 5 21:51:08 CST 2017

praNAms Sri Sunil KB prabhuji
Hare Krishna

For that matter more than 250 works (like bhAshya-s, prakaraNa-s, stOtra-s, upadesha, prashnOttara etc. ) have been popularly attributed to prasthAnatraya bhAshyakAra.  It is all based on volumes of work ( I think it is about 20 volumes) published by vANi vilas press, Srirangam.  And according to some reliable sources, tradition would believe that all these works have been approved and accepted as the work of bhAshyakAra by the then Sringeri Jagadguru HH Sri sacchidaananda shivAbhinava nrusimha bhArati mahAswaminaH.  But nowadays in scholarly circle all these works have not been considered as the work of bhAshyakAra hence during the siddhAnta pratipAdana most of the times they use only prasthAna traya bhAshya.  It is only these works that will be treated as self-sufficient material to determine the Advaita siddhAnta as per Adi shankara.  As far as my knowledge goes, no traditional Acharya doubted the authorship of prasthAna traya bhAshya though there is strong enough doubts on the authorship of viveka chudAmani, trishati bhAshya, prapanchasaara, soundarya lahari etc.  And now you are debating that even geeta bhAshya too not from Adi shankara’s pen and trying to make prasthAna traya to  prasthAna dvaya ☺

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar