[Advaita-l] Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Ancient Gita Commenataries (in The Indian Historical Quarterly, Volume 10, Issues 1-4)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 11:57:32 CST 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Subbuji. Interesting read. This supports my view that there were
> pAncarAtra / bhAgavata bhAshyas in existence prior to Shankara's gita
> bhAshya. Very interesting that Otto Schroder picks up on the reference to
> paravAsudeva shakti by the purvapakshi when analysing the word अनादिमत्परं.
> This was the same point I was making earlier.

That's good. But does this observation of the researcher support the idea
that 'Shankara was criticizing Ramanuja's vishishtadvaita'? Also, the paper
confirms the idea that the Kashmir recension has been there even prior to
Shankara and there have been Kashmir-based commentaries, some five, before.
Sarvatobhadra is also one such pre-shankaran, it appears. Further, the
number of verses and the several different readings identified in that
Sarvatobhadra by the editor lets us think that even in Shankara's times the
Gita-text determination was not a settled issue.

regards
subbu