[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The Bhashyas of Adi Shankara

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 00:30:10 CST 2017

Pathak claims this is Adi Shankara only. If Sri Sunil wants to claim the
manuscript refers to a navashankara then so be it - however that is his
opinion, not Pathak's.

Even then, one should note that the manuscript says that the very same
Shankara (the one that Sri Sunil claims is Nava Shankara) is also the
author of the shaAriraka bhAshya - which is the brahmasUtra bhAshya. So if
Sri Sunil insists that this person is Nava Shankara here, who is different
from Adi Shankara, then he must be prepared to admit, it is Nava Shankara
that wrote the Brahma sUtra bhAshya also.

The other reason why the mss. must refer to Adi Shankara only, is that the
guru parampara given there is from Shiva onwards, down to Gaudapada,
GovindapAda and Shankara. If Nava Shankara was meant, why would it stop at
GovindapAda sishya Shankara, it would go all the way to Nava Shankara.
Failing which, it would at least give the immediate guru of Nava Shankara.
But it apparently does not, for Pathak does not mention it.

The other thing to be noted is that the manuscript refers to rAmanuja and
madhva, which reveals that the author of the manuscript wrote it after
their time, which leaves a gap of 500 years from Shankara's time, not much
better than the Shankara vijayams.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan