[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The Bhashyas of Adi Shankara

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 05:01:00 CST 2017

In the interests of an objective review of facts, it must be noted that
Pathak quotes the guru parampara in slokas 1 to 4 and slokas 9 to 10 (which
refer to Ramanuja and Madhva respectively). Pathak also refers to Shankara
being called as kUShmANDa jAta in the mss., but that reference doesn't
appear in the slokas quoted in the paper. Incidentally, while Pathak says
that the reasons why AchArya is called so are well known, frankly I do not
know what they are.

In any case, it is reasonable to suppose that slokas 5 to 8, which are not
quoted, are likely to be guru parampara slokas. We need to examine these to
see if there is anything in there which supports an interpretation of
navAvatAra as referring to another individual.

Whether Adi Shankara or another, nava Shankara, is the subject of the mss.,
the point that the mss. considers that individual as the author of the
brahma sUtra bhAshya remains in either case.

Does someone have a copy of / Has someone seen the manuscript in question?

Regards,
Venkatraghavan