[Advaita-l] An instance of malicious interpretation of the Atharvaśirā upaniṣad

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:06:11 CST 2017

Namaste

>From Kanchi Kamakoti page -

http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part19/chap6.htm

'In the last haviryajna called "sautramani" sura (liquor or wine) is
offered to appease certain inferior powers or deities for the welfare
of the world. Our government, which otherwise strictly enforces
prohibition, relaxes the rules to entertain foreigners with drink,
considering the gains to be had from them. The oblation of liquor in
sautramani is to be justified on the same grounds. It is never offered
in the sacrifices meant for higher deities. What is left over of the
liquor - what is purified by mantras - is imbibed by the performers of
the sacrifice, the quantity taken in being less than a quarter of an
ounce. To say that Brahmins drank the soma juice and sura to their
heart's content on the pretext of performing sacrifices is an
outrageous charge. I have already spoken about the falsehood spread
about the partaking of the meat left over from a sacrifice.'

If a Brahmin drinks less than quarter of ounce of liquor in Yajna he
cannot be same as a person in a bar drinking many litres of liquor
like beer or many pegs of whisky. Brahmin haters are spreading this
message of Brahmins eating non veg and drinking liquor in Yajnas.
Dvaitis are reacting to that message by banning animal sacrifices and
Suraa Paana.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Namaste
>
> Bad logic of Dvaitis.
>
> They say animal sacrifices are not actual animals but only Pashus made
> of vegetarian grains. No non veg.
>
> But they say in Sautramani Yaaga liquor can be consumed but against
> Dharma Sastra.
>

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 3:43 PM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l
> <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
>> *An instance of  malicious interpretation of the Atharvaśirā upaniṣad*
>>
>> A short article on the above topic is available here for download:
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/file/l6som2xfpbcjj4t/Wrong_explanation_of_the_Atharvashir%C4%81F.pdf
>>
>> regards
>> subrahmanian.v
>>
>> For assistance, contact: