[Advaita-l] Yajna involving animal (header changed to suit the discussion)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Jan 17 03:10:27 CST 2017

Is the mantra quoted in the first bhashya 'agnīṣomīyam paśum..' have any different meaning for 'paśu' since the word 'aja' is not used here?

praNAms
Hare Krishna

If I remember right, few years back, in this list some prabhuji ( Sri Anand Hudli prabhuji??  I don’t remember)  has given the references from Apasthambha and Gautama dharma sUtra-s that meat eating was permitted in  brAhmaNa community not just as hOma shesha or prasAda but recommended for regular food intake.   And I have heard from the reliable sources that in shrouta yAga like  sOma yAga, garudachayana etc. it is the formality to offer pasu's vape  and hrudaya to yagneshwara after the due purification of the 'pashu'.  But now a days they are offering  the alternatives in the form of 'flour' (pishta).  And some scholars are of the opinion that non-vegetarianisms in Hindu brAhmaNa community is mainly because of influence of Jainism during the ancient times it was not like that.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar