[Advaita-l] Yajna involving animal (header changed to suit the discussion)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:18:24 CST 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <

> Namaste
>
> North Indian Brahmins like Kashmir Brahmins take meat and Bengali
> Brahmins eat fish. But we cannot say they are committing sin. The
> Sampradaya itself is allowing them to eat meat and fish. But South
> Indian Brahmin cannot use that excuse and eat meat and fish. Because
> it is not in his Sampradaya.

Swami Vidyaranya has, in his Jivanmukti viveka, in the Vasanakshaya
prakaranam, mentioned that the South Indians fault the Northerners (brahmins)
for their meat-eating habits and the latter taunt the former for their
practice of girls marrying their maternal uncles and so on. So there is
this 'vasana' to hold one's own practices as high and fault  those of
others as censurable.  Such vasana according to the author  is not
conducive to spirituality.