[Advaita-l] Dayanand Saraswathi interview - Very interesting stand taken by Swami

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 11:43:45 CST 2017

Dear Kripaji,

By an large one can observe whether a person is observing the yamas and the niyamas as well as his dharma according to his birth / varna as these are the first requirement for a sthitaprajna / sthiraprajna / jnani. Then comes the pratyahara and so on. Arjuna asked the Lord who is sthitaprajna and the the Lord gave the necessary details.

For example, Lord Ram scolded a person, known to be a scholar, who was telling lies in order to convince him (Lord Ram)  that he should not proceed on vanavasa. Lord Ram did not approve the lies. Lord Krishna is said to have told that lies are permissible only for jokes and also under life extreme life-threatening situations only. A real jnani will never lie and will not endorse any lie. He will always be a seeker of the truth.. So if a person is found to be telling deliberate lies, that person cannot be a jnani, whatever his or her claims may be.

Another example on historical lies. Many people believe that Lord Mahavira lived before Lord Buddha. A jnanai will never endorse that just because the colonial historians said so, and they tried to perpetuate that lie. Indian historiography (not hagiography) clearly shows that lord Buddha lived many centuries before Lord Mahavira.

Regards,
Sunil KB