[Advaita-l] Dayanand Saraswathi interview - Very interesting stand taken by Swami

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 15:49:33 CST 2017

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 12:00 AM, Kripa Shankar <
kripa.shankar.0294 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is why it's impossible to debate on philosophical grounds. Because
> people try to reconcile with their own understanding.

> Anyasya abhavam happens only during samadhi.

Where has Shankara said this?  In the BGB 13.35 Shankara says:

...and bhuta-prakrti-moksam, *the annihilation of the Matrix of beings*-the
Matrix of beings is that which is described as ignorance and is called the
Unmanifest; (those who know) the annihilation (moksanam) of that Matrix of
beings; te, they; yanti, reach, go to; param, the Supreme, to Brahman, the
Reality which is the suprme Goal. The idea is that they do not take up a
body again.

In the Vivekachudamani, Shankara says:

क्व गतं केन वा नीतं कुत्र लीनमिदं जगत् ।
अधुनैव मया दृष्टं नास्ति किं महदद्भुतम् ।।483।।
Where is the universe gone, by whom is it removed, and where is it merged ?
It was just now seen by me, and has ceased to exist ? It is passing
strange!
( Vivekchudamani, 383 )
वह संसार कहां चला गया ? उसे कौन ले गया ? वह कंहा लीन हो गया ? अहो ! बड़ा
आश्चर्य है जिस संसार को मैं अभी देख रहा था वह कहीं दिखाई नहीं देता ।

Nowhere it is said that it is samadhi.

> Please forgive me if I say anything wrong but Mixing up para and apara in
> cheesy one liners is not Vedanta. It's not the pinnacle of shankara
> siddhanta. It is in a way, mocking the philosophy.

This is exactly what you have done!

> Something like a parody.
>
> Again, if you are willing to analyse it critically, then you have to
> consider that there is no tvam pada in this self-inquiry method.

Are you sure? Then, what is the meaning of 'self' above?

"त्वंपदार्थविवेकाय सन्न्यासः सर्वकर्मणाम् । श्रुत्याभिधीयते
यस्मात्तत्त्यागी पतितो भवेत्" ॥
इत्यादिवचनकदम्बैर्वेदान्तविचारमन्तरा क्षणमपि सन्न्यासिभिर्न स्थेयमिति
प्रतिपादितं भवति

'Renunciation of karma  is enjoined by the Veda for the purpose of engaging
in 'tvam-padārtha viveka.' That is what is meant by Vedanta vichāra,
Self-enquiry, which is non-different from brahma-vichāra. It is called
'śārīraka mīmāmsā' by Shankara.

vs