[Advaita-l] Vaadiraaja Teertha's Yuktimallika - Eka Jeeva Vaada Criticism - Slokas 3-677 to 3-691

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 03:16:27 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <

> The Main Siddhanta of the Advaitis is the Eka Jeeva Vaada. In the Siddhanta
> Bindu it is said -
>
> मुख्यो वेदान्तसिद्धान्त एकजीववादाख्यः । इममेव च
> दृष्टिसृष्टिवादमाचक्षते । This Eka
> Jeeva Vaada is the Main Vedanta Siddhanta. This itself is also called
> as the Drishti Srishti Vaada.
> Eka Jeeva Vaada and Drishti Srishti Vaada from Translation of Siddhanta
> Bindu by Sri S. N. Sastri is this -
>
> 'In this view the jiva himself is the material and efficient cause of the
> universe through his own nescience. All the objects perceived are illusory
> (like things seen indream). The delusion that there are many jivas is only
> due to there being many bodies. Liberation is attained by the single jiva
> on realization of the self as a result of the perfection of hearing,
> reflection,etc, with the help of the Guru and the scriptures which are all
> conjured up by him. The statements about Suka and others having attained
> liberation are only by way of eulogy. In the Mahavakya the term ‘That’
> signifies by implication consciousness not limited by nescience, like the
> terms ‘infinite’, ‘reality’, etc.'
>
> Vaadiraaja now is turning his attention to the Eka Jeeva
> Vaada.
>
> युक्तिमल्लिका - भेदसौरभम्
> खल एव खलो लोके नासुरा वैरवैरिणः ।
>
> एको जीवः स निद्राति तस्य स्वप्नः किलाखिलम् ॥ ३-६७७
>
> The wicked person is really the worst in this world but not the Asuras.
> Why? The Asuras hate enemies like Gods but the wicked person hates the
> world itself. Why? Because he thinks there is only one Jeeva and that Jeeva
> is sleeping. Everything in the universe is his Dream.
>
> अहर्निशेति च प्रायो न विदुर्मोहिदेहिनः ।
>
> कालः किलायं सर्वोऽपि स्वप्नः सुप्तस्य कस्यचित् ॥ ३-६७८
>
> The persons addicted to pleasures mostly will not know when it is day and
> when it is night and they want to enjoy pleasures always day and night. All
> this time is a dream for some sleeping person. The dreamer Jeeva does not
> know when it is day and when night because he is always in a dream.
>
> करस्थदण्डपिण्डाभ्यां शवबुद्धिं जहौ शिवा ।
>
> चरन्तस्संसरन्तश्च शवा जीवाः किलाखिलाः ॥ ३-६७९
>
> Even the female fox has not made the mistake of thinking the sleeping man
> with rice ball in one hand and a stick in another hand as a dead body. But
> for the Eka Jeeva Vaadi the moving Jeevas of the Samsaara are all dead
> bodies. He is saying even animals like a fox will know a sleeping man is
> not a dead body. But the Eka Jeeva Vaadi will think all people in the world
> are like dead bodies because there is no Jeeva in the bodies.
>
> हसति स्वैरिणी स्वैरमपरां स्वैरिणीमहो ।
>
> किं च निर्जीवदेहात्मवादी चार्वाकहासकृत् ॥ ३-६८०
>
> A prostitute is making fun of another prostitute even though both are
> selling body for money. Similarly the Eka Jeeva Vaadi Advaiti is making fun
> of the Caarvaka because he is saying there is no Jeeva in the body. The
> Caarvakas are materialists. They say there is no Jeeva in the body and the
> body is the Self.

The Vedantin, on the authority of the Shruti, holds the jiva is verily
Brahman and hence there is no jiva. The charvaka does not hold the jiva to
be Brahman and still claims the body alone is the self and there is no jiva
that continues after the death of the body.

> एकाशाखण्डने लोका दोषमाघोयन्त्यहो ।
>
> शुकाद्याः किल सर्वेऽपि न मोक्ष्यन्ते मुमुक्षवः ॥ ३-६८१
>
> If one person's desire is not satisfied people say there is a defect. But
> in EJV all the Mumukshus like Suka and so on are not liberated even though
> they have desire for liberation. In EJV only one dreaming Jeeva can be a
> Mumukshu. Other Mumukshus are only dream figures and they are not real. The
> dreamer can be liberated but the others are not liberated because they are
> not really existing.

The Amritabindu upanishad teaches that there is no creation, destruction,
no samsari, no mumukshu and no liberated:

http://upanishad.info/upanishads/text/krishna-yajurveda/sanskrit/amrita-bindu

न निरोधो न चोत्पत्तिः न बद्धो न च साधकः ।
न मुमुक्षुर्न वै मुक्तः इत्येषा परमार्थता ॥ १० ॥

So, Vadiraja's objection is against the shruti and not the Advaitin.

This verse from that very Upanishad is cited by Shankara in the BSB 3.2.18:

एक एव हि भूतात्मा भूते भूते व्यवस्थितः ।
एकधा बहुधा चैव दृश्यते जलचन्द्रवत् ॥ १२ ॥

> यजनाध्ययनादीनि मननश्रवणानि च ।
>
> दानस्नानादिकं सर्वं दशा स्वाप्नी किलाफला ॥ ३-६८२
>
> For the others in the dream all sacrifices, study of Scriptures, Reflection
> and Hearing the Vedanta, giving gifts, having bath in sacred places are in
> only in the dream and have no Fruit.

Not so. That they have fruit is also the eka jiva's imagination. In fact
the sadhaka of the Eka jiva prakriya has risen to this height only because
he has practiced yajna daana, etc. sincerely and attained high chitta
shuddhi.

> ब्रह्मापि निर्ममे सम्यक्तपसोद्बुद्धशुद्धदृक् ।
>
> अस्राक्षीन्निद्रितस्त्र्यक्षसहस्राक्षादिकान्किल ॥ ३-६८३
>
> Even Brahma properly did penance and created the Universe with pure
> knowledge. But according to EJV the one dreaming Jeeva has created Rudra,
> Indra and other Gods and the Universe. This is a ridiculous theory.

Actually, it is that Brahma's dream.

All the objections  raised do not stand the scrutiny of shruti, yukti and
anubhava.

regards
subbu