[Advaita-l] Tamas, physical darkness, is a positive object

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 09:12:31 EDT 2017

Namaste

If you say Darkness if absence of Light you are correct. If you say
Darkness is absence of everything you are not correct. Just because a room
is Dark you cannot say it has nothing. Therefore Darkness is Something. It
is NOT Nothing. Therefore Darkness is Positive Object - a Bhaava Roopa.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Ramachandra Sastry via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
>
> Thanks to all who responded on my query.
> Apparently, if  we say blackness is the property of darkness and since this
> blackness is seen, hence darkness must have an objective existence, then we
> should ask what is the Pramana to say that blackness is the property of
> darkness? if someone says obviously the eyes...however isn't darkness seen
> even if the eyes are shut?
> Darkness is darkness whether we keep eyes open or shut...how can we say
> eyes are the pramana to say that darkness is an object ... we cannot i
> believe...
>
> Regards
> Ramachandra
>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Ravi Kiran via Advaita-l <
>
> > On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 4:25 PM, H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <

> > > does
> go
> > > off
> Does
> > > the
> > existence.
> > >

> > Interestingly, only light (tejas) is listed under dravya (substance), but
> > not darkness (tamas), in tarka sangraha.

> > > source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
> > > Virus-free.
> > > source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
> > > <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
> > >
> > > For assistance, contact:
> > > listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

> > For assistance, contact: